Sunday, February 10, 2008

Getting Rid of Minimize with Double Right Click

One of the more novel and simple Autohotkey scripts I ran into a while back let you minimize the current window by double-right-clicking. For people who are manage lots of windows and apps, and have a lot of icons in the desktop, this can be really useful. In fact, I featured it in the "My Auto Hotkeys (and shutdown via text message)" article a while back.

However, I've come to realize that I didn't really need this script all that much. First of all, I've gotten rid of all the icons on my desktop and keep my desktop folder as a toolbar in my taskbar. Secondly, I've more often found that it interferes with using Mousegestures, a Firefox extension I'll be featuring soon, which let you control the browser by dragging the right mouse button (drag left to go back, drag right to go forward, up to open new tab, etc). If I had to choose between keeping Mousegestures or Double-Right-Click, I just stuck with Mousegestures.

Anyway, for those of you still interested, the autohotkey script for minimizing with double right-click is:

~RButton::
If (A_PriorHotkey != A_ThisHotkey OR A_TimeSincePriorHotkey > 500)
Return
Sleep 200 ; time for context to appear
Send {Esc} ; close context menu
WinMinimize, A ; minimize active window
Return

Remember, greasing one's PC means not only tweaking one's computer by adding new features, it also means removing unnecessary ones.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments: